Saturday, February 13, 2010

Marion Cotillard about the making of NINE

But, three weeks (after Public Enemies) , you moved on, with "Nine"…
And, frankly, in the beginning, I didn't feel well. I was too exhausted to live my dream: being in a musical. I had to drag myself to rehearsals. I told myself every day: "Are you nuts? How many girls dream of being in your shoes? How can you hesitate?". But my body wouldn't follow. And then, during three weeks of rehearsals, I met Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, Kate Hudson, Fergie, Judi Dench, Sophia Loren and Daniel Day-Lewis. I realized we were all going to be in the same studio, for two months. And I understood we all had our fears concerning the technique required. Suddenly, instead of exhaustion, I felt euphoria, and it hasn't left me since.

How do you work on this new project?
By studying my part. In "Nine", the shadow of Giulietta Masina still floats over my character, Luisa. Although it's not a remake of 8 ½, this film is inspired by the Italian cinema and its master, Fellini. I immersed myself in the role.

And how were the singing lessons?
This kind of film is all about the Broadway style of singing! You really have to let go. But if I have a motive, I know I can succeed. I felt like I was making a step forward.

Do you still want to make a music record?
I've always loved to sing. This reminds me of my beginnings as an actress. When I began making movies, I needed to feel entitled to tell people: "Look at me, listen to me." After "Nine", I almost feel legitimate enough to sing. My work in this film gives me the right to try and fulfill my wishes. I just have to find the right project.

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment